If you are standing or walking all day long (or night), you know the consequences of wearing a sub-par shoe all too well. An uncomfortable shoe can lead to aching and painful feet, calves, knees, hips, or back. They can also leave you with blisters, calluses, corns, and rubbed raw skin. Fortunately, there are shoes made just for the purpose of standing all day or walking long distances that will fix these issues by providing cushioning, support, shock absorption, ventilation, and traction.
Some shoes can actually leave you feeling better than before, as they can enhance a natural standing position, improve your posture, and reduce pressure placed on certain areas of your body.
Our team of experts created a list of the five most comfortable shoes for standing all day. We also highlight the top considerations to help you choose the perfect pair for your needs.
The Five Most Comfortable Shoes
The Brooks Ghost 14
Mens Sizes: 7-15
Womens Sizes: 5-15
The Brooks Ghost is a comfortable and extremely cushioned shoe that offers a very smooth and stable flow while you are walking. Brooks actually re-designed this shoe recently, so it features a 100% DNA Loft cushioned midsole to help absorb impact from walking or standing for long periods of time.
The shoe is created for jogging and running, providing a substantial amount of support that is also comfortable. The 3D Fit Print allows for flexibility or stretch while also offering structure.
Furthermore, many runners have stated that this shoe has held up over long distances and heavy-duty use. That level of durability means you may be looking at years out of these shoes if you wear them at work or home.
Get it for $128: Check price on Amazon
Asics Gel Cumulus 23
Mens Sizes: 8.5-13
Womens Sizes: 5-11.5
The Asics Gel Cumulus is true to its name. It is extremely cloud-like or what we would imagine walking on a cloud would feel like. It is truly comfortable with its gel cushioning and Flytefoam™ technology.
You will receive maximum shock absorption from these shoes, as well as soft comfort for your feet’s pressure points. It even has a gender-specific 3D Space Construction™ that acknowledges men and women have different compression rates.
Additionally, if you are walking or standing all day, you want to have a good flexible shoe that isn’t too stiff. These shoes are excellent at maintaining their structure and stability without being too constricting and heavy.
Get it for $119.95: Check price on Amazon
Skechers Arch Fit
Mens Sizes: 6.5-16
Womens Sizes: 5-11
If you are already suffering from various foot, calf, knee, hip, or back pain issues, the Sketchers Arch Fit might be the perfect solution to all your problems. They provide an excellent balance of comfort and support, thanks to their Arch Fit® insole and Hyper Burst® cushioning.
Their firm and stable Goodyear® Performance Outsole keeps your foot secure to improve your flow and glide while walking. All these features and their lightweight nature make the Skechers Arch Fit one of the most comfortable shoes for standing up for long periods of time.
Get it for $80.00: Check price on Amazon
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 21
Mens Sizes: 5.5-16
Womens Sizes: 5-11.5
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 21 is perhaps the most supportive and stable shoe on the market. It features a DNA LOFT Crash Pad which is super comfortable and adaptable. Essentially, the cushioning will adapt to your foot as you take different steps.
The upper portion of the shoe has a GuideRail support sytem which keeps your foot in place and prevents it from slipping and sliding around throughout the day. It is worthwhile to note that the Adrenaline GTS 21 is also a certified diabetic shoe and has been granted the APMA Seal of Acceptance.
This is an excellent shoe if you are looking to improve your overall physical well-being and hope to resolve any pain issues from standing or walking.
Get it for $116.61: Check price on Amazon
Hoka One Clifton 8
Mens Sizes: 5.5-15
Womens Sizes: 5-11.5
Hoka really outdid themselves with this shoe. They created a truly comfortable walking, running, and standing shoe. They included a molded EVA sock liner which allows for your whole foot to feel maximum comfort and engineered a mesh fabric so that your foot will always be able to breathe comfortably.
They also made this shoe ultra light-weight because when you are spending hours walking around or standing, heavy shoes can add to you discomfort or pain. Also, although the back stacks at 33.7mm, you will not feel as though they are slipping downwards throughout the day because the excellent structure of the shoe keeps your foot stable. Another attractive feature is the wide toe-box, allowing your toes to wiggle and never causing bunching or rubbing in that area.
Get it for $175: Check price on Amazon
Considerations for choosing a comfortable shoe
There are certain considerations that must be taken into account while looking for the most comfortable shoe:
- Arch Support: The arch of your foot determines how your body adapts to surfaces as you walk across them. Therefore, looking for arch support that corresponds with your type of arch will be very important. A firm midsole would be ideal for a neutral arch, low to medium arch support is perfect for a flat foot, and high arch support for a high arch.
- Insole or Midsole Material: Along with arch support, the type of material used in the insole or midsole is important. There should be an ample amount of cushioning to provide comfort when your foot strikes the ground. Often, you may see materials such as gel, foam, or air.
- Toe Box: A roomy or wide toe box is perfect to prevent toe-crowding.
- Upper Shoe: Paying attention to the material used on the upper shoe is key. The optimal material would be mesh for ventilation purposes.
- Outsole: Of course, while standing or walking, a main concern should be the amount of traction on the underside of the shoe.
How to choose a comfortable shoe online?
It can be difficult to choose a shoe online because you cannot see the materials, construction, or try it on in person. We have composed guidelines in order to help you choose the perfect, most comfortable shoe when shopping online:
- Athletic Shoes, Walking Shoes, or Court Side Shoes: Always look for a shoe that supports athletic activity in the way that you move throughout your day. For instance, athletic shoes or running shoes are an excellent all-purpose shoe for being on your feet all day whereas court side shoes would be great for shifting side-to-side constantly. In general, we recommend looking for running shoes for the average person.
- Measure Your Width and Length: Measure your feet properly by taking both the width and length of your foot. Additionally, consider taking these measurements while wearing the socks that you typically wear for an accurate size. Always match these measurements with the size chart of a particular brand or model. It can also be wise to read customer reviews, as sometimes customers will indicate whether you should choose a size smaller, larger, or if they are true-to-size.
- Check the Insole, Midsole, and Arch support: Verify that the shoes you are choosing have the right support for your type of arch. Also make sure the cushioning level of the insole or midsole is substantial.
- Look for Special Features: If you suffer from a specific issue while wearing regular shoes, it can be helpful to look for special features that correct that issue. For instance, if you find that your feet overheat constantly, look for added ventilation. If you find that you constantly slip on your floors at work, look for excellent traction.
- Check Customer Reviews: Customers can offer key insights into how the shoe truly performs and how long it will last. When you are investing in a high-quality shoe for standing or walking, you want to know if this shoe is going to perform as promised and last a long time!
Who should purchase comfortable shoes?
You should invest in comfortable shoes, especially if you are standing or walking a lot during the day. Many professions require continuous standing, shifting, or walking which can lead to discomfort if your shoes are not properly designed to provide comfort and support. It can even cause serious, chronic health problems if the pain and tension is ignored or neglected.
For these reasons, it is best to consider correction or prevention sooner than later with comfortable, supportive shoes. It can also be important to purchase comfortable shoes if you already suffer from chronic pain or inflammation issues or have mobility problems.
Are expensive comfortable shoes worth it?
Although purchasing a shoe that is designed for comfort and support can be expensive, you are investing in your long term health and physical well-being. You are potentially avoiding a lifetime of chronic pain issues, if not simply avoiding painful workdays. Also, expensive shoes tend to be made with higher quality and more durable materials that will last longer than cheap department store shoes.
That said, it is always a good idea to go with a reputable brand or check customer reviews before purchasing an expensive shoe to ensure it is indeed worth the price tag.