Solar deck lights may just be the perfect way to light up your life, as they offer so many advantages over typical styles of deck lights. First of all, they are environmentally friendly so they are ideal for any individual who wishes to reduce their environmental footprint in an easy and effortless way.
Second, aside from the upfront costs, you will save money over time since their energy use comes from the sun itself rather than electricity. Third, they come in classy and sophisticated styles that can turn your deck or patio, garden, lawn, or walkway into an illuminated oasis.
Solar-powered deck lights work by using their solar panel to attract and collect sun rays during the day. They store the solar energy inside a battery and utilize the battery to power the lights once it becomes dark outside.
In this way, they are also easy to maintain; the solar panel and the lights themselves only require a light cleaning once in a while to ensure efficiency and luminosity whereas you only need to switch out the battery every few years.
Considerations when Buying Solar Deck Lights
As there are many different brands and models of solar-powered deck lights available, choosing a solar deck light can be a complicated yet gratifying experience.
It will all be worth it once you have installed your solar lights and can watch them glow pleasantly amongst your beautiful garden flowers or play off of your stone walkways.
We have composed a list of all the key considerations that must be taken into account when purchasing a solar light below:
- Brightness: Similar to verifying the wattage of a lightbulb, you can check a solar light for the lumens count. You may be familiar with this term if you have ever shopped at IKEA. Generally, the amount of lumens you should look for depends on where you plan to place your outdoor lights; an outdoor path light, especially if you wish to place a few along a walkway, 100 lumens is appropriate. On the other hand, if you would prefer lighting similar to a lamppost between 120-180 lumens would be ideal.
- Color: The light appearance is always an excellent factor to consider if you are aiming for a certain ambiance. If you prefer soft and calming lighting, a warm white is achieved with a 2000-3000k temperature whereas bright lighting will be emitted from a 4500-6500k temperature.
- Solar Panel: Depending on where you live, your weather conditions may vary; it is important to consider your regular weather and temperatures, as well as the extremes on either end of the spectrum. Your solar panel needs to be protected from all the elements, with an appropriate shield cover.
- Battery: Solar-powered deck lights store their energy in various types of batteries, although the best types include lithium-ion batteries; these will last longer.
- Recharge Time: Recharge time refers to the amount of time it takes for a solar deck light to refill its battery from the solar rays. You may be tempted to pick a light that has the least amount of recharge time, but it is also important to pay attention to the length of time it will provide light for; try to pick a balance of both that meets your needs.
- Durability and Lifespan: In terms of durability, crucial features include weather resistance and waterproof and heatproof properties. The materials also play a major role in how long your solar-powered deck lights will last; opt for metal or heavy-duty plastic to get the longest lifespan.
- Settings: Some solar deck lights feature settings that add conveniences, such as an auto on/off timer, motion activation, or adjustable dimming or brightness settings.
- Style: Of course, style plays a big role in how your solar deck lights will look on your lawn, garden, walkway, patio, or deck. Fortunately, there are many options so you can find options that perfectly match your aesthetic.
The Best Solar Deck Lights
Aootek Solar Lights
The Aootek solar lights, coming in a pack of 4, are motion-sensor deck lights. In a sleek L-shaped design, they are perfect for installation on a wall or staircase as security lights or to illuminate a driveway when coming home at night.
In fact, Aootek designed these solar lights to have three lighting modes; a security mode that only switches on the light when it detects movement, a permanent all-night light, or a smart all-night light that turns brighter when it detects movement. Further, it features a 15.3-inch solar panel to capture 6 hours of solar charge, running for 8 hours of overnight light.
Get it for $35.99 on Amazon.
Othway Solar Deck Lights (6-Pack)
The Othway solar deck lights are ideally semi-oval shaped for pathways, stairs, or walls; they are a beautiful addition to any outdoor area, as they are sleek and smooth.
Furthermore, they feature an automatic timer and a motion sensor that turns on the lights if they detect movement. Additionally, since the solar panels are built into the lights themselves, they are more durable than other types of solar deck lights.
Get it for $29.99 on Amazon.
Sunface Solar Deck Lights (6-pack)
These solar power deck lights are truly stylish, boasting a lantern-like appearance even though they are flush with a wall or staircase side. They are also ultra-modern as you can choose from 7 different colors including amber yellow, yellow, green, light blue, blue, purple, and red; this makes them a fun option if you have children or teenagers.
They automatically turn on at night, so you never have to worry about remembering to switch them on. Keep in mind that these lights are actually very small, so the light they emit is minimal; they may not be useful as security lights but they definitely add ambiance.
Get it for $30.59 on Amazon.
Siedinlar Solar Deck Lights 4-pack
Siedinlar designed these solar deck lights with a driveway, walkway, or staircase in mind, although we can see how they’d work perfectly to provide ambiance around a garden or pond as well. They are small disc-shaped lights that are extremely durable.
They are composed of high-grade aluminum alloy which can resist any type of weather including heat, frost, rain, and snow. Further, they can withstand up to 20 tons of pressure which is ideal for alongside a driveway; if you accidentally drive your car right over it, it should be perfectly fine.
Get it for $35.99 on Amazon.
Gigalumi Solar Deck Lights
Gigalumi’s solar-powered deck lights, coming in an exceptional 8 pack, have an elegant criss-cross diamond design and emit bright light downwards.
They are heat, water, frost, and wind-resistant which means you can place them just about anywhere outdoors, working beautifully on walls, decks, or staircases alike. Their solar panel sits on top, soaking up 6-8 hours of sunlight to emit up to 10 hours of light during the night.
Get it for $31.59 on Amazon.
Who are solar deck lights for?
Solar deck lights are excellent for any individual who wishes to light up various areas outside while ditching the unnecessary and unsightly cords and wires. There are many added benefits of using solar-powered deck lights including reducing your environmental impact and ease of maintenance.
What are solar deck lights?
Solar deck lights are just like typical deck or patio lights, however, they capture and store solar rays in order to power their lights. They come in all sorts of style, color, and luminance options, such that you don’t need to sacrifice aesthetic preference while using this eco-friendly and sustainable product.
Do solar deck lights need direct sunlight?
Although it is best to place solar deck lights where they will receive the most sunlight possible, they will still charge when it is partly cloudy or indirectly sunny.
How long will solar deck lights last?
The lifespan of solar-powered deck lights depends on the type of materials they are composed of, and if they are resistant to the type of weather and temperatures that occur. The longest-lasting solar lights will be made of metal, possess a weather-resistant and waterproof shield or casing, and contain a lithium-ion battery.
How are solar deck lights installed?
Most solar deck lights have a relatively easy installation, although it will tend on the brand and model. You should receive installation instructions along with your solar lights, although you can usually call the manufacturer for further description.
How are solar deck lights cleaned?
You can clean your solar deck light with a damp cloth for both the solar panel and light cover, as needed. The particular battery will need replacement according to its type, although generally you only need to swap it out when you notice your light is not storing energy efficiently or every few years.
Are solar deck lights weatherproof and waterproof?
Most solar-powered deck lights are designed to be both weather-resistant and waterproof, although it is always important to verify that they will resist the types of weather and temperatures in your area. For instance, you may need to check that your particular lights are heat or cold-resistant, or snow-proof.
Where can the best solar-powered deck lights be purchased?
The best solar-powered deck lights can be bought at construction stores, home goods supply stores, or large department stores. If you prefer the convenience of online shopping, Amazon has a wide array of solar light options.